eye prep when allergic to betadine?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Sherry Pace
      Participant

What does everyone use for their eye preps when the patient is allergic to betadine????

Crissy Benze
      Keymaster

There really isn’t a great alternative to betadine in terms of sterile prep effectiveness, but we were introduced to this product recently….

Sterilid Eyelid Cleanser
      http://www.theratears.com/dry-eyes/how-theratears-can-help/sterilid-eyelid-cleanser/

Using this along with some antibiotic drops may be a good alternative.

Heather Hernandez
      Participant

We use Zephrin Chloride (Benzalkonium Chloride) if a patient is allergic to betadine. I agree with Crissy, there is really no good alternative to betadine.

Jan Zeit
      Participant

We have all of our patients perform an eyelid scrub using baby shampoo three days pre-op and then if allergic to Betadine, we perform a prep using baby shampoo and sterile water immediately prior to surgery.

Heather Hernandez
      Participant

We have been using Zephrin as an alternative but it has to be ordered from a compounding pharmacy for a specific patient. You don’t always know ahead of time who is allergic to betadine. So we are wanting to have something on hand. Have you heard back from anyone using the Sterilid or have any other tips?

Crissy Benze
      Keymaster

Sterilid with antibiotics drops is a suggestion we have heard from other facilities but there is no ‘right’ way, except to not use products that aren’t meant for ophthalmic use.

Courtney Leonis
      Keymaster

I am allergic ti betadine and am undergoing avastin injections. My doctor used Sure Cleanse (sp?) and I had no further issues.

Jamie Oyuga
      Participant

We have been using OcuSoft Wipes along with the patients pre/post op antibiotics and have had no issues thus far.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.