https://progressivesurgicalsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Blog_ASC-Industry-News3.jpg 1339 2000 Courtney Leonis https://progressivesurgicalsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PSS-RGB-update-website.jpg Courtney Leonis2012-07-07 22:40:192012-07-07 22:40:19A Simple Way to Screen for Sleep Apnea
Use this acronym to create a sleep apnea questionnaire:
S Do you snore loudly?
T Do you often feel tired, fatigued or sleepy during the day?
O Has anyone observed you stop breathing while sleeping?
P Have you been or are you being treated for hypertension?
A Age >50
N Neck circumfrence >40cm
G Male Gender
If they answered yes to 3 or more they are at high risk for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
What do to?
- If using MAC be sure to use capnogragphy.
- Extubate patients only in non supine positions after meeting strict extubation criteria.
- Consider opiod sparing pain management such as NSAIDs.
- Use regional anesthesia if reasonable.
- The facility must be prepared with difficult airway equipment in case of emergent/difficult intubation.
Source: Outpatient Surgery Magazine